Friday, March 20, 2015

Broken arm-friendly dress modifications


When Project Run and Play announced the Knot Dress from the Sewing Rabbit as the March challenge, I knew I wanted to play along. I actually bought the pattern as part of a sew fab pattern bundle a few years ago, but it was re-released as a free pattern last month. It hadn't been on the top of my sewing list simply because there are just so many things on my sewing list, but then Stella broke her arm (falling off the couch - so original) around the same time the challenge was posted.

You might be wondering why those events are connected, but I soon discovered that only tank tops would fit over her cast, and only a couple dresses. A dress that fastened at the shoulder? Perfect!


So I printed the pattern and picked out some fabric from the stash (flannel shirting from Joann's), and geared up to sew. I already knew I would omit the back cutout and knot to make it more Pacific NW spring weather appropriate, but then I completely changed my mind. I started thinking about the tulip sleeve from the Oliver + s Fairy Tale dress (blogged here), and the lapped shoulders from the Figgy's Sunki dress I just made. And couldn't stop thinking about it. The construction could be really fun. Plus, I felt like a short sleeve would be truly more weather appropriate. That's the wonderful thing about sewing, you get inspired and then adapt to your needs!

Check out that giant elbow on the cast. Not sleeve friendly!
So I traced some pattern pieces and adapted them, added some snaps to the shoulder and added the knot dress skirt. The shoulders could probably use a couple buttons to keep from pulling up as you can see in the picture, but I didn't have anything just right in my button jar, so that'll have to wait for the next Joann's trip. I had to slim down the knot straps so they would work in thick flannel (found that out after securely sewing them to the skirt at midnight last night), and rounded the corners so they looked better with the rest of the dress. Flannel was not the most fun fabric to sew this in, but it's really comfy!

 
Love that tulip sleeve!
It's extremely twirly (thank you selvage to selvage skirt pieces) so Stella LOVES it.

You know it's twirly enough when it shows your undies.


The sun came out and I didn't adjust my settings so this photo is overexposed, but this is the best front view.
If you'd like to know in more detail how I made the dress, let me know in the comments and I'll write
up some more details and post some in-progress pics.

I've loved looking through the linky party. So many great creations!

If you'd like to see more of my creations, make sure to Follow my blog with Bloglovin (or the email option on the sidebar). I love bloglovin! It's an incredibly simple way to quickly keep up with a ton of awesome blogs.

This post is linked up over at:
http://nap-timecreations.com/2015/03/create-link-inspire-323.htmlhttp://www.straight-grain.com/?p=5755

14 comments:

  1. I am in love with the twirly undies picture! The sense of freedom, the twirly-ness, and all the beautiful green! I'm originally from Oregon, now living in Calgary, and I MISS THE GREEN! So much. And the flannel is so perfectly adorable. And the tulip sleeves! I need to try those soon. Basically, what I'm trying to say is - good job, and this blog post totally made my evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mindy! I was really happy with how it turned out. And tulip sleeves are so cute and surprisingly easy (at least the ones on the fairy tale dress are).

      I would miss the green, too! This winter I've been missing the rain it's been so dry, but we have some pattering on the windows tonight :)

      Delete
  2. I ADORE it in flannel! I may need to make my princess a flannel dress now. Your tulip sleeves are just perfect, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sabrina! Stella kept it on all day it was so warm and cozy.

      Delete
  3. Your cast-friendly adaptation is so clever! And the dress is a perfect blend of girly-twirly and cozy-play-outside-flannel. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like those shoulders and sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did such a great job! We are out in the PNW, and I left off the circle cut out too. LOL
    We need lots of coverage out here.
    I hope your daughter's arm heals quickly!
    Mine just sprained hers, and could take the removable cast off this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's been so weird to have her in tank tops the last few weeks, but the weather has mostly cooperated. How did your daughter sprain hers?

      Delete
  6. I love the checkered flannel. It looks so comfy. And what a great display of fun and freedom on the twirling photo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very smart flip, I love the closing even for non-cast wearing kids!

    ReplyDelete