Sunday, October 5, 2014

Pattern review: Oliver + s roller skate dress

I'm trying to make most of Stella's Fall and Winter wardrobe.  I picked up a few Oliver and s patterns I'd been lusting after in a 40% off sale this summer and I've been itching to use them. I figured with a long sleeve and leggings a roller skate dress would fit right in.  But today was beautiful and sunny, so all it needed was boots!

Cute notch!

She said, "Okay, you can take a picture of me now."

So much enthusiasm. Hard to contain.

Good for playing!

PatternOliver + s Roller Skate Dress

Sizing:  I sewed a 3T in 4T length (according to the measurements) and it fits great!

Material used:   A couple of batiks from Joann's.  I don't know why this is the first time I've used a batik for a garment, love the results!

Notions needed:  A button and a scrap of interfacing (which I forgot to use and it was fine.)  I also used a hair tie instead of a strip of bias for the button loop. 

Appropriately rated:  Yep. (Rated two/four scissors.) Although with Liesl's instructions, I bet it could be a first project. 

Time spent:  Not long. I'm slow and it was just a few hours including cutting. 

Comments:  Super cute dress. And it can be reversible! (There are plans in the works for a small tunic.) As with every Oliver + s pattern I've sewn, it set the bar impossibly high for all other pattern designers and I had no problems with the instructions. 

I've linked this post over at Inspire Us Thursday at the Inspired Wren.

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Pattern review: Sally dress by very shannon

Hi there! 

So, awhile ago (over a year) I bought a Sew Fab pattern bundle.  It had a bunch of patterns and I thought I would potentially make 10 of them, so it was worth the money.  Guess how many I've sewn?  Three!  This one included.  Apparently, I should not buy pattern bundles.  However, I do have several more of the patterns printed thanks to print credits at school and a scirocco dress actually cut out.  That practically makes four.  Three and a half? 

I ended up loving this dress so much that Stella wore it for family pictures with Marci (the best family photographer in the Willamette Valley), so I have awesome pictures to share!  Except, they are focused on the girlie in the dress, not the dress itself.  Now for gratuitous pictures. 



The little one would NOT cooperate with some smiles.  She was in the process of cutting five teeth in a couple weeks, so I can't blame her too much.
Anywho, on to the pattern review!

PatternSally Dress by Very Shannon

Sizing:  Spot on.  I sewed a 2T adding several inches in length based on the size chart and it fits just right.  I was worried the shoulders wouldn't stay on put, but they did. 

Material used:   1 yard of a quilting cotton clearance find at Joann's.  It was $2 a yard after discounts!  Sweet!  There was only a little over 2 yards on the bolt or else I would have bought way too much.  Except I couldn't have had too much of this fabric. You can't tell how amazing it is from the pictures so you'll have to trust me. For the pockets I used some scraps of chambray and hot pink shiny satin (also from JoAnn's). 

Notions needed:  None!

Appropriately rated:  It's rated advanced beginner/intermediate and I think it might be a little easier than that.  I didn't sew the sleeves, though, so maybe that's the difference. 

Time spent:  Not long.  1 1/2 short evenings and a little work in between chasing children. 

Comments:  I really like how the dress turned out.  Really cute!  And I love how quickly it slips on and off.  There aren't a lot of options in the pattern, besides for sleeves/sleeveless, but I got a great price.  I do have a couple things I'd do differently next time.  1) Prep the bodice by basting a 1/2" guideline around the armholes and the outer bodice waistline to help with pressing.  The armholes were really frustrating, and I'd basted a 1/2" guideline in advance it could have been easy.  2) Finish the bottom of the pockets.  Because of the bulk, the pockets were only turned under once on the hem.  So, the whole dress has beautifully hidden raw edges (I used French seams for the skirt, a first for me) except for the pockets.  Oh well. 

The pattern was fun and different.  The directions were clear and pretty complete.  With adding in the basting, I'd recommend it.