Thursday, January 26, 2017

Pattern review: Jalie Cora Leggings

Here's a post I never published from a much-loved make last summer. Jalie Cora tights and shorts. I won the pattern as part of the Sew Yourself Some Love challenge last February and it was fun to try a pattern brand I hadn't tried before. One of the other patterns I received and made was Jalie 3350. I also cut out the swim shorts, but haven't sewn them up yet. The best part about their patterns is that they're graded for girls and women, so you get up to 29 sizes with one pattern. Sweet!

A theme I've noticed when I discuss exercise/running pants with other women is how they don't stay up. (This was a huge relief because I thought it was just me.) I have a long, flat butt and lots of baby leftovers on my tummy that accentuate this problem. High-waisted running leggings have solved this problem for me, and they're waaay cheaper to make than buy.



 Pretty sure I'm "sucking it in" in most of these pictures.
 


Funny story about the length. I was shooting for capri length, but with all the pattern pieces I ended up a little longer than I was planning. I wore these for running and ultimate Frisbee, and during a game the opponent I was guarding told me that they do sell pants that are full length. It was a weird comment, but she was pretty sarcastic and negative most of the game, even with her own teammates (which is really strange because Ultimate is all about the good feelings). It was also weird, because she was about 6" shorter than me and has no idea how they don't actually sell full length leggings for my height.

Anyways, I had no witty comeback because I was so taken aback (and focused on the play), so I just muttered something about them ending up a little longer than I intended. And it shut her up! The next break in the play she asked what I meant and I told her I made them, that I like to make my own clothes. The silence and the amazed look on her face was golden.

I'd love to say we had a beautiful conversation about all the reasons why I make some our own clothes, how they fit our bodies better, higher quality, resist fast fashion, outlet for creativity, etc. But we didn't. She was a negative Nellie, and I was pretty happy for the golden silence.


Stella and I in our matching pants and swimwear. And Blue (aka the photobombing hound).
 

The photographer and photographer's assistant.


They're just so cute!


Pattern: Jalie 3462

Sizing: According to my measurements at the time, I shot for in between Y and Z. My patterned fabric barely had as much stretch as the pattern called for, and they were far too tight. Definitely afraid of busting the seams. So I cut open the side seams and added a 2" strip. Then they were just right for a compression tight. I cut the AA size waistband.

Modifications: 2" strip down the side (which ended up being a design element I liked). Also, I added 3" in height to the waistband because I love me a high waistband that covers my muffin top.

Material used: For the main: Swimsuit fabric from The Fabric Fairy (similar here). I've bought swimsuit material twice from The Fabric Fairy and it's been good stuff both times. Their selection is fantastic and they have matched prints with solids for me before. For the inner thigh: Dri-fit poly/spandex jersey from The Fabric Fairy. It's held up really well. (I wash cold/hang dry these.)

Notions needed: 3/8" elastic for waistband and pocket and I used wooly nylon in my loopers and bobbin.

Appropriately rated: I couldn't find a rating. I would call it an adventurous beginner.

Time spent: Longer than I'm used to spending on leggings because of all the pieces, but not much longer. I did spend the time topstitching seams I thought might have extra strain on them.

Construction/instructions: Jalie pattern instructions are a bit crazy to look at, but it all came together nicely.

Comments: These are so fun, and very professional looking. I've gotten lots of compliments on them. I love that there is no chaffing inseam. The pocket surprised me -- it was actually useful! I kept my keys in there and/or my pepper spray and it stayed without a problem. If I didn't have a giant case on my phone, it would probably have fit without a problem, too.

I was about 6-7 weeks pregnant in these photos. Here's what I look like now (courtesy of Stella):


That's a lot a baby (and chins). Only a few more weeks until we meet this little one!

1 comment:

  1. Good Product. Thanks for Shearing. I want to buy it . Please tale me more about the Product.i like it very much sdgdsgdf

    ReplyDelete